Waterford City & Environs Cycle Plan
Cycle & Pedestrian Schemes
Waterford City & County Council
DBFL Consulting Engineers were commissioned by Waterford City Council to prepare a Cycle Network Plan for the area defined as Waterford City & Environs (WCECNP). The adopted study area comprises areas which were until recently administered by the following three separate Local Authorities, namely Waterford City Council, Waterford County Council and Kilkenny County Council.
The project brief required that the Cycle Network Plan should identify and determine in a consistent, clear and logical manner the following cycle networks within the Waterford City Environs study area ;
-The Urban Cycle Network at the Primary, Secondary and Feeder levels
-The Inter-urban Cycle Network linking the relevant sections of the Urban Network and including the elements of the National Cycle Network
-The Green Route Network being cycle routes developed predominantly for tourist, recreational and leisure purposes.
Completed in early 2015, DBFL undertook the following tasks;
1) Initial site audits, user audits, data collection and traffic surveys.
2) Existing Infrastructure Quality of Service Assessments
3) Development framework and trip forecasting for adopted 2023 design year
4) Key Stakeholder Consultation exercises
5) Network modelling exercises
6) Preliminary Design of 45km of new dedicated cycle infrastructure.